Sunday, June 15, 2008

[travel] The Polar Opposites of Midwest


Day 1, Sunday: Chicago. Stormy Weather
Vacating the apartment and place of work for an entire week involves a significant amount of preparation. After two hours of restless sleep, I headed to the airport. I recognized faces of half of the passengers on the plane. They were all headed to Chicago to attend NeoCon. So was I.

Upon landing at O'Hare airport I learned that severe Midwest storm kept many flights delayed and canceled some others. My coworkers came in late, and my boss's flight was canceled. That was fine--I didn't feel like meeting up with them for a drink that night anyway.

That evening my sponsor and I went to dine with style at Room 21. The decor was eclectic, bold and colorful. We started with beef carpaccio, then I had tomato bisque and seared scallops with salad, all prepared to perfection. But the warm cardamom doughnuts with chocolate and raspberry sauces...if food heaven exists, it is inside that subtle cardamom flavor of piping hot doughnut, freshly deep fried to order, with a drizzle of the perfectly dark, yet not overpowering, chocolate sauce that is neither too thick or too thin. And the meal was capped with 18 year old Macallen, before and after dinner. This is a close--very close--second to my favorite meal of all time, at The Restaurant at Getty.

Menu at Room 21

Afterwards we got together with couple other vendors and went to The Bar at Peninsula Hotel. More scotch there. I never made it to Allsteel party at Apple store. It was raining when we left.

Day 2, Monday: Chicago. Crazy NeoCon Day

Merchandise Mart--a whole zip code of a building

Knoll hosted breakfast at Aria Restaurant at Four Seasons for Orange County designers. I ordered crab cake eggs benedict while others ordered homemade granola and yogurt. I said I was embarrassed for my choice of menu, but really, I wasn't. After breakfast we took a cab to Merchandise Mart, that obnoxiously big building which I was told has its own zip code. After a walk through of 11th floor showrooms, I headed over to Joey Shimoda luncheon symposium hosted by Steelcase. He spoke in depth about the design process of new Steelcase showroom at the Mart. I walked away with my creative charge fueled up.

The Knolls

It wasn't until mid-afternoon that I met up with AK and her nephew. We hung out at Steelcase party which only served one type of cocktail that tasted like melted Jolly Rancher with half a teaspoon of vodka diluted in melting ice water. Ugh.

Inside-Outside

Really, guys, you couldn't afford linear diffuser?

A close encounter with a column

For dinner, I managed to tag along with AK and her sponsors to David Burke's Primehouse. I ordered 55-day aged ribeye for entree. But as good as the dinner was (with a four-digit price tag to go along), it did not leave much impression on me. Maybe it was the wine--it started giving me a headache. After a brief stop at Signature Lounge on top of Hancock Tower to finally meet my coworkers for a drink, I headed home to sleep.

View from Signature Lounge, Hancock Tower

Day 3, Tuesday: Chicago. Why did I wear my maryjanes?

I always claimed that my maryjanes were the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. After all, I am able to wear them hiking up the hill of Hollywood Bowl with no problem. But I guess to walk around in it all day is a different story, even with extra silicon padding I slipped in underneath.

After tour of more showrooms in the morning, AK, her nephew and I decided to do some sightseeing. So after lunch we headed to Millennium Park where, coincidentally, Chicago Symphony Orchestra was rehearsing at Frank Gehry designed pavilion. We sat for awhile to listen before goofing around the awfully Jeff Koons reminiscent Cloud Gate by Anish Kapoor.

A simpler, outdoor version of WDCH

I'm in there somewhere as a dot

Then off to Sears Tower we went. This time, we took the train instead of a cab. Staring out towards the tracks, I thought of an old dream I had.

54th and Wabash

From Sears Tower

We went from Sears Tower to Hancock Tower to join AK's sponsors for drinks. I bid them farewell as they headed off to dinner. As much as I loved their company, I needed some "me" time. Alone. I tossed the maryjanes and changed into flats before hitting the streets. I went to a hole-in-a-wall for some spicy Polish sausage and sweet potato fries. I went to a bookstore and bought H. Hesse's Pictor's Metamorphosis. Being completely alone in a city that I do not know--priceless.
Day 4, Wednesday: Chicago/Michigan. The Drive.
Never have I learned to sleep on the middle of the bed. This day was no exception and I woke up staring at the undisturbed pillows and sheets next to me. Only one person was in my mind.
In the afternoon I picked up my rental car, a Chevrolet Cobalt with 780 miles on it. No power windows. Getting through all those toll gates gave me enough exercise on my left arm for the day. Through Illinois and Indiana I drove, and up Michigan along the lake. I managed to find a classical music station on the radio. As my luck would have it, it was a pledge week. After an hour of that, I tried listening to Conrad's Heart of Darkness (on Classic Tales Podcast). But the view was too pretty, atmosphere too pleasant, for such sullen telling of a story. Instead, I listened to John Adams' Naive and Sentimental Music and a lot of Schubert. By the time I reached Holland, MI, my shoulder was sending painful signals of rain to come.

Driving Michigan

It was quarter after 8, EST, by the time I reached Onekama. GU and her niece E welcomed me. After dinner and walk to the pier and dessert (in that exact sequence), we played few games of Pente, a Greek game similar to Connect Four, except with five.
I was given the room I stayed in last year. I wouldn't have wanted to have it any other way. Back then I accidentally left my phone adapter on the plug under the dresser. I looked under--it was still there. There was no need for it any more with my new phone, but I gladly retrieved it. But as I unpacked I realized that I left the camera battery charger at the hotel. You gain some, you lose some. Oh well.
Last time I was in Onekama, I left thinking I may never come back. But I was here once again, less than a year later. I sensed a certain melancholy this time that I did not feel here before. Nothing had changed at Rosegate--what changed was me.

Day 5, Thursday: Michigan. Real Storm Begins.

We took a late morning walk to wood carving artist's studio. Otherwise it was a laid back, uneventful day.

Wally-meister

Zoe-berger

GU's sister, brother-in-law, and mother arrived by dinner time. We had excellent dinner (maybe I should instead call it supper) of grilled pork tenderloin, grilled peach and goat cheese salad with balsamic syrup, creamy polenta, and homemade blueberry cobbler. Sitting at the porch to another round of Pente, rain started coming. With each minute it fell harder, winds growing stronger. In the distant skies we saw lightening which sent poor Zoey an anxiety attack.

Thunderstorm

I loved the thunderstorm. It felt like summer. By bedtime, the storm was hitting hard. I went to sleep, listening both to threatening thunders outside and Beethoven's Pathetique.

Day 6, Friday: Michigan. Back to the Basics.

The thunderstorm of night before knocked out power in the middle of the night. Plumbing was shut, too. Life really had to go back to the basics.

The weather was clearing up. 6-7 possible inches of rain was had in one night. 31 highway was closed from Manistee south because a bridge got washed up. The whole town of Manistee was in disarray after the storm.

It was a lazy day with walks to the beach along Lake Michigan, more games of Pente at the dock, and a nap.

Washed up deer carcass

Despite the lack of power and water, we still managed to eat like kings. Most everything was prepared on the gas grill. Grilled flank steak, blanched asparagus, sliced heirloom tomatoes, and choices of desserts. After dinner GU, E and I went for a walk along the channel and out to the pier to see the sunset. At 9:30PM, the sun was still peeking out from the clouds, albeit close to the horizon. The power was back on when we came back home.

9:10 PM, EST

9:32 PM, EST

Day 7, Saturday: Michigan. Journey Back Home.
In the wee hours of the morning (2:22AM to be exact), I woke up from my sleep. I looked over at the empty twin bed next to mine. For a long time I could not fall back asleep.

The farewell was emotional. Neither of us showed it, though. GU packed me lunch to go like a mother would, wrapping each slice of sandwich individually, done so it would easily peel even while driving.

Because of the road closures along the stretch of highway I was supposed to have taken, I took a detour per GU's instructions. It was an hour detour which I made in 45 minutes. I did not stop
all the way to Chicago except to fill up the gas. It was a 6 1/2 hour drive. I created a mini Mozart fest, with complete listening of Le Nozze di Figaro, Symphony No. 40, and Piano Concerto No. 20, among others. How would I ever travel without my 80GB iPod?

Soon after the plane took off, I found myself enshrouded in so many thoughts. And like I did in Ojai listening to Dawn Upshaw singing Alban Berg's Die Nachtigall, I tilted my head back and closed my eyes. But when one single drop of tear escaped through the corner of my eye, the flood gate was open. I...didn't hold back.




No comments: